WBC announces tournament; Guerrero-Garcia, Charlo-Jackson for vacant titles
Following the retirement of Floyd Mayweather, the WBC has formulated a plan for activity in the welter and super welterweight divisions. The following will function is an impromptu tournament to clarify the division.
1. Danny Garcia vs. Robert Guerrero will fight for the WBC welterweight championship.
2. Amir Khan is ratified as mandatory contender.
3. Lamont Peterson vs. Andre Berto for a final elimination bout to determine the second mandatory.
4. Sammy Vasquez vs. Aron Martinez, semi-final elimination.
5. Miguel Barrionuevo vs. Azael Cosio semi-final elimination.
6. The winners of the two semi-final elimination fights to determine the wildcard.
7. Ray Robinson, who is currently injured, is positioned as wildcard.
Super Welterweight division
1. Jermell Charlo vs. John Jackson will fight for the WBC superwelterweight championship.
2. Demetrius Andrade vs. Charles Hatley for the first mandatory.
3. Vanes Martirosyan vs. Julian Williams semi-final elimination.
4. Ishe Smith vs. Jorge Cota semi-final elimination.
5. The winners of the two semi-final eliminations will fight each other for the wildcard.
6. Austin Trout placed as wildcard.